Simply wearing any old pair of safety eyewear isn’t enough to protect your eyes. Though the possibility of an eye injury decreases, if your eyewear fits poorly or incorrectly, you're putting yourself at a higher risk for injury.
Many manufacturers treat safety eyewear as “one size fits all.” But because head and face shapes are so different, it's impossible to find one pair that works for everyone. That’s why finding properly fitting eyewear is so crucial to Wearability®, especially when 90% of recorded injuries are due to poorly fitting eyewear or workers not wearing eyewear at all.
Fit testing is critical
Eyewear that fits well helps reduce injuries and increases compliance, whereas poorly fitting eyewear often leads to workers removing it throughout the workday, making them susceptible to eye injuries.
When trying on new safety eyewear, we recommend using the fit guide explained in this video and below, as well as reviewing eyewear descriptions and materials to help ensure the best fit.
Proper fit steps
- There should be no uncomfortable pressure points on the side of the head or behind the ears.
- The nose piece should be comfortable and contact your nose without pinching.
- You should be able to see in all directions without major obstruction.
- The overall weight of your safety eyewear should be evenly distributed between your ears and your nose so that frames sit comfortably on your face without distracting from tasks.
- Frames should fit close to the face without hitting your eyelashes. The space around the frames and your face should be less than a pencil width. Gaps of less than or equal to 6-8mm are preferred.
- Lenses should cover your eyebrows and any soft tissue around it.
- Eyewear should stay in place when you move your head front to back and side to side.
Remember, safety eyewear isn’t one size fits all. If you’re not able to pass the fit test above, try on another pair of safety glasses until you find the perfect fit. You could be saving yourself from a future injury.
HexArmor® can help
Because of HexArmor’s German-engineered dual-injection mold technology, we’re able to combine soft and hard components into flex frames that make them comfortable and durable, yet highly adaptive so that they fit any face width or shape – making wearability, protection, and compliance an easier endeavor for you.
Plus, we have several styles to choose from, so you know you're getting the best safety eyewear selection on the market - see our safety eyewear technology.
Have more questions about how safety eyewear should fit? Download our helpful sizing guide below or let us know if you need help - our Solution Specialists are ready to work with you. Call 1-877-MY ARMOR or send us a message.Download fit guide